From a stone, turretted, 1622 building off Edinburgh’s Royal Mile, hangs the sign of a man with a quill pen seated at a desk. The Writers’ Museum in Lady Stair’s House is surrounded by a courtyard dedicated to writer's, ‘Makars’ Court’.
The Writers’ Museum celebrates the lives and works of three of Scotland’s most admired writers and devotes one floor to each. Burns, Scott and Stevenson's lives span almost one and half centuries:
- Robert (Rabbie) Burns 25 January 1759 to 21 July 1796
- Sir Walter Scott 15 August 1771 to 21 September 1832
- Robert Louis Stevenson 13 November 1850 to 3 December 1894
Storytelling was their hobby
Like most writers, they had wage earning careers, too. Burns became a customs officer and Scott and Stevenson trained as advocates.
Technologies and business of Writing
Technology manifests in the attic room displaying the printing press dated 1790, on which Ballantyne’s produced Sir Walter Scott’s best sellers, complete with all the drawers and trays of type. Stevenson acquired a portable printing press to take to the South Seas.
- More about the Edinburgh Writers' Museum
- More about Edinburgh's Royal Mile museums
- More about Edinburgh's history of printing and publishing